Wednesday, October 19, 2011

What Goes Up by Jenna Kutz


       I slumped against a rock and gratefully accepted the water bottle that my dad handed me. I poured some of it on my face before gulping down the rest. The hot August sun beat down on me, causing sweat to trickle down my forehead. I was tired and sore, but I had to keep going. I wanted to make it to the top. The San Tan Mountains were less than an hour from my home but this was my first time hiking them.

       I followed my sister, Whitney, around a corner, my feet crunching on the small rocks. I gasped as I stared up at the steep incline. But just above was the end, the top of the mountain. Some of my younger siblings were already crawling up.

       “C’mon, Jenna, you can make it. Just a little bit farther,” encouraged my older brother, Ryan, from behind me. I could only nod in response.

       I finally pulled myself up the last rock and collapsed. Gray clouds appeared overhead blocking out the sun and a breeze cooled my face. I was exhausted and my legs felt like Jell-O, but I grinned. I made it to the top. I still had to get back down the mountain, but I knew that I would make it. After all, what goes up must come down.

Second Autobiographical Incident 

No comments:

Post a Comment