Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Blur of Brown by Alex Trudgen


            It was summer break and we had just visited our close friends in Utah. My whole family and I were a little bit upset that we had to be on the road for the fourth of July.
           
We ate dinner with our friends, said our good-byes and got ready for the long trip home. My dad drove and my mom helped with directions. My youngest sister, Lily, and I fell asleep. Audrey, my other younger sister, played on my dad’s ipad. Three hours into the drive I woke up. Lily still slept soundly and Audrey listened to music. I was rested and now truly ready for the trip home.
           
After being awake for a short while my dad and I saw the Watch for Deer sign. I closed my eyes and prayed for protection. A few seconds later we saw a blur of brown and felt something hit the car with great impact. My mom and I lost our hearing for a couple of seconds due to the airbag explosion.
           
My wonderful dad had not panicked and slowly drove to the side of the rode. Lily who was still asleep when we hit the blur of brown, knocked her head on the seat in front of her. I yelled her name and made sure she was okay. I looked at everybody in my family. A couple of us started to cry. Everybody in my family just sat in the car for a while and started shaking with fear and shock. God answered my prayer. We had been driving eighty-five miles per hour. We all could have easily been killed, but God kept us safe.
                                                                                                                                   
            Once we relaxed my parents got out of the car to see the damage. Because the front of the car was completely smashed in, mom thought it would be totaled. The two of them tried to get service to call towing and insurance companies.
           
While my parents were getting help, Audrey continuously looked at the pile of brown fur and told Lily and me that one of it’s legs were missing. I didn’t want a thing to do with the poor deer, so I didn’t look at it and I made sure Lily didn’t look at it either.
           
I had to tell Lily what happened. Lily startled, confused, and half asleep started to cry.  When she got over her confusion and tears she began to understand what happened, which made her cry again. This time she cried thicker, faster tears. The three of us waited in the car, worried, and prayed for more protection and help.
           
Two hours after we hit the blur of brown my parents had everything set up. We now waited for a tow truck. A man pulled over and made sure we were okay. He said he felt that God told him to pull over. He didn’t know why, but when he saw the dead animal and our car he then understood. My mom and the man talked about Mormonism and Christianity. He said he grew up Christian and then converted to Mormonism. They had a friendly disagreement about if they worshiped the same God or not. My mom blessed him and shared the love of God with him.
           
Finally, the tow truck arrived. We took our important things out of the car and got into the huge truck. The tow truck man towed our car and helped us figure out where to
go. We decided to take the two hour trip to the city of St. George. My parents discussed God with the tow truck man (a Mormon). He told them about his life. He seemed to be a very open, kind man. During the two hour drive I never took my eyes off the road and country around us. I didn’t want to go through all the fear and stress of hitting an innocent animal again. I felt terrified, but I tried not to show it.
           
The tow truck man dropped us off at a hotel and took my dad to get other business figured out. The four of us got our luggage and checked in to our hotel room. I was relieved to finally be able to just relax. My dad came back and he told us that we would be stuck at the hotel for the fourth of July and we could do nothing about it. With no rental car places opened, we would have to wait. I felt glad we were safe and that a warm bed waited for me.

            The next day we all struggled to be kind to each other. Nobody was in a particularly good mood. All of us experienced soreness. I wanted to lay in bed forever. Since we didn’t have a car we walked everywhere, which seemed to make everything worse. The whole day we laid around and rested for the trip home. Instead of just celebrating our country we celebrated our safety and our wonderful God.
           
On July fifth we packed everything into a rental mini van and took off! My dad drove extremely careful. We didn’t hit any animals, but we did drive into a huge dust storm! God kept us safe through that, too. I was happy to be at home and to have my family with me.
           
This experience helped me to fully trust God that He will always protect and provide for me. God allowed this experience to help us share His love with two people. I now know that I never have to worry or wonder if God will show up and help me. He always comes to the rescue!

First Autobiographical Incident

No comments:

Post a Comment