Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Jumping Past My Fear by Mrs. Webb


            I stood with my toes curled over the side of the boat, my knees knocking.  Everywhere I looked I saw only water and sky. "What do I think I am trying to do?" I thought. "I won't even let the water from the shower splash on my face! I hated swimming lessons. How could I possibly think of jumping into the ocean? I can't do this!" I stared down at the rolling waves and argued with myself. No. Yes. No. Well, maybe.  

            My husband reached up from the water below; the instructor on the boat deck patted my shoulder. "Go ahead," he said. "You'll be just fine. It's safe here." I adjusted my life jacket and snorkeling gear, took a deep breath and jumped. Bright blue and yellow fish greeted me.

When I hit the water I wanted to shout, "I did it! I did it!" (However, I refrained, since I didn't want to lose the mouthpiece that kept me breathing during this snorkeling adventure!)

I grabbed Richard’s arm with one hand and motioned with the other hand toward the large schools of swiftly moving fish. Through our goggles we saw multi-colored sea creatures and tall grass-like kelp swaying back and forth with each wave. My husband and I swam around in circles exploring the awesome sights of God's underwater world.

My irrational fear almost prevented me from enjoying this exciting activity with my friends. At first I felt afraid, because I was trying to do something I’d never done before. When I jumped past my fear I felt brave.
 
Autobiographical Incident

No comments:

Post a Comment