Tuesday, October 18, 2011

No Place like Home by A.K.


           On March 9, 2011, my dad and I took a four day road trip from Gilbert, Arizona to Bolivar, Missouri.  We drove 1,500 miles to deliver a BMW that my dad found in Arizona and bought for my grandpa.  My grandpa was frequently in Missouri and wanted to drive his new lady around town in style. Our adventure begins.
           
            My dad and I had a late start to our trip starting at 3:00pm.  We drove with the top off until we got to Heber, Arizona.  There, we took a quick stop to play in the snow and put the top back on.  After ten minutes, we continued to drive.  It struck 11:00pm when my dad and I entered New Mexico.  I surprisingly found it very difficult to stay awake so I could keep my dad from falling asleep.
 
            At 6:00am we drove into Lamar, Colorado where my cousins live to take a break and get the BMW registered at the Colorado MVD.  I was exhausted but had fun playing with my cousins that day.  At 5:00 the next morning, I woke up to continue our trip to Missouri.  Saying good-bye did not come easy for me.

            After an hour, my dad and I entered Kansas.  All throughout Kansas, we saw miles of dry grass.  You could see the horizon from the grass and the blue sky.  Since there was not much to look at, I enjoyed talking to my dad.  When we got to Cunningham, Kansas, I got to see the high school my grandma used to go.  It was an interesting small town.

            Finally, we entered Missouri!  After having a delicious meal with my dad, Ellen Roweton, the lady we stayed with, my dad and I went to visit my great-uncle. My dad and I spent the next day at my great-uncle’s house.  Later that day, my great-uncle dropped my dad and I off at the airport.  My legs were shaking of fright.  I had not been on an airplane since I was a baby.  After going through the security scan into the waiting room, I found out how ridiculous my fear was.  My fear went away.

            Once we were on the plane, it felt very stuffy and small.  Not at all how I expected it to be.  It was interesting looking out the window and seeing all the lights of the cities.  I did a bit of reading, but found my preoccupation in looking around and trying to get over my thirst.  Eventually, the plane landed.  My dad and I went to find our family, then went home.  Even though I had a lot of fun, there is no place like home.

First Autobiographical Incident

No comments:

Post a Comment