Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Day to Remember by Whitney Kutz


          I smiled as Nicole slowly walked down the isle, arm-in-arm with our dad.  Her face lit up more with each step that she took. She looked amazing; from the soft curls that fell around her shoulders, to the train of her dress that trailed along behind her.

          As she gradually made her way to the front of the church, three hundred guests turned to look at her walk in. I imagined them thinking about their own weddings. Whether they were five, ten, fifteen years in the past, or somewhere in the future.

          My thoughts traveled back to the day when I had received a text from Nicole while she was in San Diego celebrating New Year's with a group of friends. (Her soon-to-be fiancé` included.) I woke up in the morning and glanced at my phone. The words, 'Whitney, are you awake?' flashed across the screen. Of course I hadn't been! She had sent it at 2:30 in the morning! I texted her back and immediately got a reply. 'I'm engaged!!!' Even though I was just reading from a cell phone screen, I could sense her excitement.

It didn't seem that long ago that Nicole and I had been little girls, going for walks in the evening, and giggling late into the night on Christmas Eve. Suddenly, today, she seemed much more grown up. She was much more grown-up.

          As I stood on a stage with the other bridesmaids, a sudden realization struck me. I was losing my only, older sister. She would move out of the house and things would never be the same. But as she walked by me to stand in front of the altar, my smile returned. Yes, she would move out and yes, things would be different. But we would still laugh, talk, and have fun together. I was definitely not losing my older sister. Our relationship was just changing.

          I proudly watched as Nicole and her fiancé exchanged their vows, beaming smiles at each other while they held hands. I knew it was a day she would always remember. I certainly knew I would.

Even so, as I stood there, I still didn't know what to think. Should I feel happy? Sad? Lonely? I decided to be happy. After all, it was her special day.

First Autobiographical Incident

No comments:

Post a Comment