Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Purple Cast by Shealeigh Hanna


One of my favorite activities is riding my bike in front of my house. One day when I was practicing riding really slowly, I suddenly started tipping.  My mom was watching and began yelling, “Put your foot down!”  Thud! I hit my shoulder on the side walk and my wrist on the asphalt. My wrist hurt a lot so I went to Banner Desert Hospital and got some x-rays. They didn’t know if I broke my wrist or not so they gave me a slimy plaster brace to get me through the weekend.  Just in case, they asked my mom to take me to an orthopaedic surgeon.
 
             Early Monday morning, my mom called the bone doctor’s office, and they fit me into the schedule right away. The waiting room was very cold which made me slightly nervous.  They took me into the exam room, pulled up the x-rays from the hospital, and told me I broke my wrist and needed a cast. It was hard to choose which color, but I chose a dark purple.  They encased my arm in the hot fiberglass.

          After weeks of wearing the cast and getting many silver signatures, I went back to the orthopaedic surgeon to get my cast off.  I saw the tool they used to remove the cast.  It was a saw with ferocious teeth like a shark’s jaws.  I thought it was going to hurt me, but it didn’t hurt.  It didn’t even touch me.  I thought I could ride my bike now, but not yet.  It was disappointing that I couldn’t ride my bike for a few more weeks.

Second Autobiographical Incident

No comments:

Post a Comment