Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shattered Glass by Garrett Frazey


Garrett with twin brother Grant & another friend
8th Grade
           One evening I found myself lazily reclining in a chair watching television.  I had just gotten to the climax of the movie I was watching when I heard the sound of shattering glass in the distance.  Scared, I ran as fast as my legs could take me to my room.  After closing the door as quietly as I could, I scrambled under my bed and hoped that no one would find me. 

It had just occurred to me that no one else was home when I heard a faint whisper that said, “You look in there and Reggie and I will look in here.”  “There are three of them,” I thought.  I closed my eyes and dared not move or breathe.  They searched the room for about five minutes when I felt a light tap on my back and a voice saying, “found you.” 

That was the last thing I remembered for some time until I woke up in the back seat of a car.  I acted like I was still asleep because I didn’t want any trouble.  I went on like this for about five hours when the car came to a halt.  They dragged me out of the car and carried me into a building.  We rode on an elevator for a long time and stopped on the top floor.  We went outside again and I stopped pretending to be asleep.  I squirmed around for awhile but they got a rope and tied it around my waist.

The men hauled me over the edge of the building and I dangled by the rope screaming.  After a minute or so a voice yelled, “Bye.”  The rope snapped and I was hurdling towards the earth like a rock, 1000 feet until I hit the ground, then 500 feet, 200 feet, 10 and…  Suddenly, I found myself lying in bed with my arms and legs stretched out like I was doing a belly flop.  I was relieved.  “It was all a dream,” I thought -- until I heard the sound of shattering glass in the distance…

Short Story

No comments:

Post a Comment