Sunday, October 23, 2011

Brace Yourself by Faith Kutz


     Braces today? I thought I was getting them next time! Alyssa an assistant at the orthodontist just informed me I was getting them today. As she led me to the chair and I sat down I didn’t now whether to feel excited or scared. She pushed a button and my chair began to recline. Then I realized, this is really happening!

     Before I knew it, Alyssa stuck something in my mouth that stretched it so wide it felt like a soccer ball could fit inside. The guard slipped over my tongue to keep it out of the way. Lying back like that made me feel suddenly tired, as if I had laughing gas, but I didn’t. After Alyssa dabbed the glue on my teeth I could feel pressure as she pushed the brackets in place.

     The friendly orthodontist made final adjustments and told me I could choose two colors for my bands. Finally, Alyssa removed the mouth stretcher and asked me to go rinse. My mouth felt so weird and looked even weirder. After she attached the wire she pulled the red and orange bands I chose over the brackets. I immediately felt the tightness on my teeth.

     I will wear these braces for at least a year. When I headed for the orthodontist that day I didn’t even realize I was getting them. I wasn’t nervous or scared about it. I never had time to brace myself for getting braces. Maybe it was for the best.

Second Autobiographical Incident

No comments:

Post a Comment