Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Pleasure of Assisting by Emily Dunnan


         When the request for my assistance in preparation for a wedding reception came, I thought it was no big deal; it proved much different than I anticipated. I assumed Mom and I would simply arrange tables and chairs. I was wrong.

Upon arriving at the church where the reception took place, we met the coordinator who promptly asked us, “Where’s the food?” That stunned both of us. We were supposed to bring food? I thought. Evidently someone miscommunicated slightly. A fellow worker arrived just then and informed us that someone she knew picked up the food from the restaurant. Crisis averted.

Seven more people came to help, making a team of ten. In the hall the chairs and tables for three hundred guests were already out. In the kitchen we prepared vegetable trays and goldfish for appetizers, and pasta with rolls and fresh salad for dinner. Two people filled a tall display with lovely chocolate and vanilla cupcakes while the rest of us set out food, mixed drinks, and put the final touches on the culinary components of the room.

We finished the set up just in time! It became obvious that we would stay much longer than we originally intended to because our help was needed. Fortunately we wore nice clothes. The guests started entering the hall around 5:30 and grew into a sizeable crowd by 6.00. This reality kept the women in charge of drinks on their feet, filling huge beverage jugs constantly. I stood at the kitchen door and watched the procession of guests. Some ladies wore elaborate, brightly colored hats, and some of the gentlemen wore boutonnieres (flowers that go in the buttonholes of suits). When everyone sat down, upbeat music played and the bridesmaids and groomsmen strode, skipped, or danced into the hall and to the bridal party’s table followed by the jubilant bride and groom. Shortly thereafter dinner began. Several helpers stood at the buffets to keep an eye on food levels as the guests lined up for nourishment. I monitored the tables that stood across the room from the kitchen. I hoped no one would trip as they walked through the room carrying hot pasta trays. A few guests returned for seconds and thirds before I assisted in cleaning the buffet tables.

Around 7:30 some friends and family gave speeches, but I did not hear any because all the ravenous workers retired to the kitchen to gobble the bountiful leftovers. It is truly remarkable how delicious food tastes when you’ve walked around, nonstop, for the past four hours! My feet ached, but we still needed to wash dishes and prepare dessert. My Mom, another lady, and I placed heavily laden cupcake trees and gorgeous fruit platters on a table in view of the audience. As the children in the crowd became antsy, the groom dismissed them for dessert. I received a tray and instructions to clear the tables of trash. I had never done any waitressing before then, so it was a new “adventure”.

Dead tired by 8 o’clock (I was going on five hours standing with no rest), I grabbed a vacant chair. After only a minute of relaxation, a friend came and pulled me onto the dance floor, intent on teaching my heavy feet to move gracefully, with minimal success.

The newlyweds handed out bubbles to blow at them as they left. We tried, but a blustery monsoon storm came up and the bubbles just flew in our faces as they drove away. Most of the guests departed, leaving the families of the bride and groom and a few other saintly people to help us clean up. At 9:30 pm Mom and I drove home with a small fraction of the leftover food.

The two families united by this wedding remain thankful to us. It was gratifying to know how much they appreciated the work we did. I expected an hour-long outing. It became a seven-hour trial of not only the resilience of my feet, but my selflessness as well. Overall it was a joyful celebration of the union of two people, with which I had the pleasure of assisting. Next time I help with a wedding, I will bring more comfortable footwear.

First Autobiographical Incident

No comments:

Post a Comment